Oriental Theme Party Ideas
Home >> Graduation Party Themes >> Oriental Theme Party
I hope to give you sumptuous oriental party ideas with gorgeous decorations and a very special feel.
I have tried to give you lots of oriental party ideas on invitations, food, decorations, photo ideas, games and favors which will be great for any venue. You may have a Home Party or alternative venue in mind. Hosting an Oriental party is fantastic if you can give it some scale and atmosphere.
With lots of fun, energy and enthusiasm your oriental party ideas can be a brilliant success.
Oriental Theme Party Ideas - Invitations
Simple and Fun Invites
Clearly a very simple invitation would be, use red or black paper, using a stencil place oriental characters on it in gold writing and add invitation details. Simple but effective!
You could hand deliver Chinese takeaway boxes with the invite and some fortune cookies inside as a nice touch.
You could make your own fans. Just cut out the fan shapes on black or red paper. Add wording in gold, red or black writing and send the invitation off.
Fan the flames of the (Graduate's) success.
Please come to the Oriental Graduation Party at the (Venue) Chinese garden on (date/time).
Chinese costume is a must.
RSVP to ......
If you can copy an image of an entrance to a Chinatown and write the invitation details on the back.
Wording could be:
2015 is the year of the (graduate).
Come to (venue) and celebrate this lucky year. Share in the graduate's good fortune on (Date/time).
Dress in Chinese costume and maintain the good luck.
Simply buy lots of chopsticks and red ribbon. On the red ribbon write the invitation details.
Bring your chopsticks and eat all you can!
Come to the Graduate's Oriental House Party (details) on (date/time)
This is a great one! If you can find gossamer kites you can write the invite details on the kite.
Soar along to the (Graduate's) Oriental Graduation Party and help celebrate on (date/time) at (venue).
The graduate has reached for the sky and you can too!
Oriental Costume required.
If you can, microwave the fortune cookies for a few seconds until soft. Replace the message inside with your graduation invitation.
To share in the (graduate's) good fortune come to the oriental graduation party at (venue) on the lucky day(date/time).
Oriental Costume will ensure you have a lucky day.
You are invited to our Thai Graduation Party.
Come to the ancient Kingdom of Siam and party the night away.
Thai Costume optional
You are invited to the Bangkok College (name) Graduation Party.
Get ready for a wild night in this Thai culture capital.
Great music, food, culture and dancing.
Thai or Tourist costume.
Alternatively you can word the invitations as The Little Emperor inviting his subjects to the Forbidden Palace.
You can of course put invitations inside, or write graduation invitations on the side of, Chinese meal pails.
Here is an invitation you can print off or get inspiration from:
The Oriental Free Graduation Invitation Template page has the free invite, wording ideas and a range of project ideas like save the date cards.
Oriental Theme Party Ideas - Food and Drink
Oriental food is simply wonderful. There are so many dishes you can serve.
- Spring and prawn rolls
- All kinds of chop suey
- All kinds of szechuan dishes
- Chicken Teryaki
- Lo Mein
- King Pao chicken
- Egg Rolls
- Prawn toast
- Sweet N Sour dishes
- Chicken soup
- Thai food which is based on the 5 tastes, sweet, spicy, sour, bitter and salty. Food is usually served with jasmine variety rice (also known as Hom Mali rice).
- Bean Sprouts
- Nuts and Pretzels
- Bowls of fruit, including Lychee nuts
- Stir fried vegetables
- Ginger Ice Cream, any ice cream is always good
- Caramel bananas
- Fortune Cookies
Have lots of fried rice ready to eat. A good recipe for fried rice is:
Ingredients for 4 to 6 people:
- 1 - 2 green onions
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 - 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or oyster sauce
- Wash and finely chop the green onion
- Lightly beat the eggs with the salt and pepper
Heat a wok or frying pan and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the eggs. Cook, stirring, until they are lightly scrambled but not too dry. Remove the eggs and clean out the pan.
Add 2 tablespoons oil. Add the rice. Stir-fry for a few minutes, using chopsticks or a wooden spoon to break it apart. Stir in the soy sauce or oyster sauce as desired.
When the rice is heated through, add the scrambled egg back into the pan. Mix thoroughly. Stir in the green onion. Serve hot.
To drink, orange juice (orange symbolizes wealth), coconut drinks (coconut for togetherness), pomegranate juice (pomegranate for abundance) are a good start.
Also to suit all party goers, Sodas, Non Alcoholic Punch and lots of water to keep the party goers going.
Decorate with mini parasols.
A simple party idea is to select dishes from a choice of excellent local caterers!
For the Cake, there are many, many brilliant oriental theme decorations which will thrill the graduate. Including Pagodas and Dragons. Also signs such as Chinatown. Finally a fan, mandarin hat, parasol, or kite.
Once you bake the cake it can be frosted, decorated and cut to the shape you want.
A cake is a fantastic way of celebrating graduation. The next section has a how to for an oriental cake.
Oriental Theme Party Ideas Cake
The Graduation Cakes page gives you full instructions on cooking tools, ingredients, recipe, cooking times and frosting the cake. Also ideas for cupcakes and graduation cap cake, which can fit any college graduation party ideas.
Simple Decorating Idea for Your College Graduation Party Ideas Cake
1)Cover with chocolate frosting – should probably be red, black and gold but dark chocolate will look much more appetizing.
2)Using grease proof paper, cut out a template for a fan, parasol, or oriental characters.
3) Next lay the paper on top of the cake and use a piping bag with a biggish nozzle to pipe little blobs of white, red, black or gold frosting to cover the template.
Oriental Theme Party Ideas - Games
- Tai Chi - arrange a Tai Chi session with an expert. Help guests to benefit from Tai Chi.
- Origami -
Demonstrate some simple origami.
Give guest the paper they need and ask them to make the shapes you demonstrate
Put their origami on display
- Chinese Characters a simple game to play quickly.
Arrange the Chinese symbols which make the graduate‘s name on separate cards
Guests are to arrange the symbols in what they think is the right order.
Announce each winner as they get it right.
- Catch The Dragons tail - The children all form a line with their hands on the shoulders of the child in front. The first in line is the dragon's head, the last in line is the dragon's tail. The dragon's head then tries to catch the tail by maneuvering the line around so that the can tag the last player. All the players in the middle do their best to hinder the dragon's head. Don't let the line break! When the head catches the tail, the tail player takes the front position and continues.
- Chinese Ball - Guests stand around in a circle with a ball as appropriate for the age group (such as a basketball). The ball is thrown quickly around and across the circle. When a child catches the ball, the children on either side must raise one arm - the arm nearest the child with the ball - and hold it in the air until the ball is passed on to another child. If a child fails to catch the ball, or fails to raise the correct arm when their neighbor catches the ball, or is too slow to pass the ball along, they drop out. When there are only a few children left in the circle, they are all declared winners,
- Hawk Catching Children - one child is chosen to be the Hawk, and another the Hen. All the other children are Chicks, and line up behind the Hen, holding onto the clothes of the child in front of them. The Hawk and the Hen face each other, and the Hawk now tries to catch the Chicks. The Hen protects her Chicks, holding out her hands and moving from side to side (with her Chicks swaying in a line behind her). Any Chicks which are caught move over to stand behind the Hawk, and the line of Chicks closes up.
- Sumo contest - depending on the crowd you have then it may be suitable to have a sumo contest. If you can set up a large safety mat and hire sumo costumes then you can play this great game.
- Challenge teams or individuals to learn a Tai Chi Kata in say 6 weeks. Pick the teams and let them know well in advance of the party. Arrange a coach. Have a prize for the best Kata.
- Chopsticks - each guest will need a pair of chopsticks, and each child or team will need two bowls and a number of marbles, small candies, peanuts or marshmallows. Place the bowls about 6-8 feet apart, on tables or chairs. Put the objects in one of the bowls. When you call "start", each guest must pick up one of his objects, using only his chopsticks, and carry it to the empty bowl. He then returns for the next object, and so on until he has moved all his objects safely across and is the winner. Hands must not be used at any time! If an object is dropped, it must be picked up and put back in the first bowl. You are only allowed to move one object at a time. You can make this game easier by varying the objects. Marbles are hardest, marshmallows are easiest!
- Fortune Cookie Hunt - make up fortune cookies with all the clues the teams will need to find the next one. Each cookie helps the teams to find the next one and also can give them a letter. Once the teams have all the letters they can unscramble the word.
- Guess the oriental scene - cover large photos of well known oriental scenes and people. For example Mount Fuji, the Great Wall of China, A Temple, Bhuda and The Forbidden City. Cover the photo almost completely except for say a distinguishing feature. Guests must guess what it is, and again prizes for getting them all right.
- Have a Chinese chequers competition.
- Decorate kites, lay out blank kites and supply pens and stencils.
- Decorate murals, pictures and Chinatown pails
- Decorate Chopsticks, Fans and parasols
- Best Fortune Cookie message, provide the paper and ask each person to leave a fortune cookie message for the graduate.
- Have an Origami contest. Set out the paper and ask them to create a bird or something fairly simple!
The Graduation Party Games page has a huge range of active, noisy, team, quiet and fun games, great for any party.
Oriental Theme Party Ideas - Favors
A good oriental theme party idea is to fill Chinatown pails with lots of favors.
Parasols, fans, yo-yos, mandarin hats, mini dragons, lanterns, chopsticks, mint tins, nuts, add also candies. Also, a photo of the guest at the party and food recipes. Also give single bamboo shoot plants for luck.
A traditional Chinese gift is a red envelope containing money!
Another oriental theme party ideas is to include a postcard from China, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam or Korea.
Send the party goers home with a great bag of memories from the World's Largest Party Superstore
Oriental Theme Party Ideas
More oriental theme party ideas:
- Have a Caricaturist draw the graduates and guests in Oriental style
- Have guests let go of their paper lanterns for luck. Do this safely as some coastguards may believe that the lanterns are distress flares which cannot be allowed to happen. Creative oriental theme party ideas can be great fun.
- Hire professional oriental culture experts to give demonstrations on Bonsai trees, Origami, drawing oriental characters and serving tea Japanese style. Your oriental theme party ideas may be generally oriental or specific to one country, but an expert should be available locally to help.
- A martial arts display, with guests joining in some gentle Tai Chi!
- Put the graduate's name in Oriental characters on the favor boxes.
- Entertainers can include Psychics, Actors with an Oriental film script, Mind Readers and celebrity impersonators.
- Alternative venues for an Oriental party are and Oriental Garden or an Oriental Tea Room. Perhaps you can use a Chinatown to have the party in. You can take one of those special walking tours which include various restaurant stops to taste their special dishes. You may have the party based at the last restaurant.
- If you have a safety checked venue you could hire professional fireworks people to give your oriental theme party ideas a bang.
- Arrange an expert to give an Oriental cooking demonstration.
- Choose an oriental piece such as a song or poem to be recited by guests as individuals or in teams.
- Show an excellent DVD with subtitles showing the best of oriental movies.
- Arrange a demonstration and recital on an Oriental musical instrument.
- One of the favors could be a gift certificate for an excellent Oriental restaurant which may even be used for take out. This can be a great oriental theme party ideas.
- Save money and book the oriental theme party venues for the cheaper weeknights
Share Your Oriental Theme Party Ideas
If you would like to share your complete party with us send us your oriental party ideas story and photos and we will create your own party page and photo gallery hosted on our site. (Family and friends will be able to find inspiration from your oriental theme party ideas and comment on your ideas.) If you share your complete oriental theme party details you will be automatically entered into our next contest. This year we are having a bumper $100 prize fund. There will be an overall winner and runners up prizes. The winner will be the best overall party story and photos.
For all oriental theme party supplies, favors and prizes see the World's Largest Party Superstore
An Oriental theme party is one of the better party ideas.
Return from Oriental Theme Party Ideas
to the Graduation Party Themes
Return from Oriental Theme Party Ideas
to the Home Page