Mardi Gras Party Theme
Home >> Graduation Party Themes >> Mardi Gras Party Theme
A Mardi Gras party is the most fabulous of the graduation party themes.
Recreate the vibrant, colorful, energetic carnival atmosphere and give the graduates a fantastic party!
I have tried to give you lots of Mardi Gras party theme ideas on Mardi Gras invitations, Mardi Gras food, Mardi Gras decorations, Mardi Gras costumes, games, Mambo music and Mardi Gras favors which will be great for any venue. You may have a Home Party or alternative venue in mind. Any location can make a great Mardi Gras venue!
With lots of fun, energy and enthusiasm your graduation party can be a brilliant success.
Recreate your own Bourbon Street, French Quarter, Voodoo Lounge, or Street Carnival. This will instantly get your guests into the party mood with a huge WOW factor.
You'll be amazed at the sheer number of graduation party decorations.
Save time and energy and search through THE BIGGEST AND BEST STORE.
They have a stunning selection of graduation decorations.
Mardi Gras Party Theme - Decorations
Entrances like The Rendevous Arch, Mambo Decorations, and Mardi Gras Madness.
As guests arrive they should see a fabulous Mardi Gras entrance, perhaps just like your own Bourbon Street.
- A banner with Mardi Gras party, Bourbon Street or New Orleans
- Mardi Gras colored bunting
- Street signs for New Orleans
Light up the entrance!
- Balloons themed as Jesters, Saxophone, Mardi Gras Star and Comedy/ Tragedy masks. Tie the balloons in bunches for effect!
- Mardi Gras streamers in purple, green and gold
- Beads, the famous Mardi Gras beads can be scattered all around the venue. Drape them over chairs, lamps, picture frames and mirrors. String them over stairs and fill bowls with them.
- Mardi Gras masks, including one with lights, and Venetian style. Hang them from walls and doors. Fill a vase with coins and insert masks on sticks.
- Mardi Gras columns, with purple, green and gold
- Life sized cutouts of jesters
- Make your own street signs for Bourbon Street, French Quarter and of course New Orleans.
- Shimmer Balls are always great for any party!
- Flags of Mardi Gras.
- New Orleans street lamps, placing them in the driveway and perhaps also the backyard.
- Large Mardi Gras Props
- If you have an artist friend you could have them draw giant Mardi Gras street scenes, or Masquerade ball scenes. The guests can color the Mardi Gras mural in, draw their own addition and leave messages for the graduates.
- Mardi Gras Coins, put them in bundles on tables and use them like confetti.
- Bunting strung up on walls and to light fittings. The bunting can be shaped and colored as you want. You can use simple triangle shapes with Mardi Gras colors or even have some of the bunting shaped as Mardi Gras masks.
- Gossamer with the colors of Mardi Gras
- Black and White photos of Mardi Gras celebrations from an era like the 1930's can look really good.
- Hanging decorations can be any of the Mardi Gras traditional ones such as boas, beads and masks.
Lots of decorations will give this carnival the right atmosphere. A bit of imagination and effort will give you your own Bourbon Street!
Decorate your guests, this is a brilliant way to add to the Mardi Gras party theme and getting your guests in the graduation party mood!
- Mardi Gras Funtoos
- Mardi Gras beads
- Mardi Gras masks
- Mardi Gras party hats
- Lots of glow sticks and bracelets
A great idea is to have a box of guest decorations at the party entrance and hand them out liberally!
Set up a Mardi Gras table that also pays tribute to the graduate.
- A centerpiece of a Mardi Gras mask plus photo of the graduate
- Mardi Gras colored table cover, napkins plus plates.
- Tie cutlery in Mardi Gras colored ribbons
- Also colored candles, flutes mambo masks and skirting
For all your Mardi Gras graduation party themes decorations see world's biggest supply store.
Mardi Gras Party Theme - Confetti
A great Mardi Gras party theme idea is to have confetti, in purple, green and gold of course.
Photo confetti using up to 10 graduation Mardi Gras photos and up to 3 accent colors. You can choose purple, green and gold for Mardi Gras. They have packs to suit your occasion.
The graduate photos could be of the graduate dressed in Mardi Gras outfit, fitting the graduation party themes, or simply at different ages.
You can use the confetti for the table, to put in the invitation envelopes, on the table and also to put in the favor bags.
Mardi Gras Party Theme - Costumes
The fun really starts here.
The traditional Mardi Gras is full of masquerade with masks, ballgowns, harlequins, jugglers, fire eaters and all kinds of exciting attire.
You can make masks, adapt formal wear and simply use what you have. All you need to do is make sure you have lots of purple, green and gold. The color can be in ribbons, sashes jewelry and the famous Mardi Gras beads.
Possible costumes to make for the most glamorous of Mardi Gras party theme ideas:
- Carnival King and Queen costumes with simple crowns and tiaras plus masks and gowns
- Harlequin and jester costume
- Masquerade with masks and Venetian masks
- Mardi Gras Hats, Boas and the all important beads
- Mardi Gras Funtoos and face paints to give a total effect!
- Voodoo characters with scary face paints
Buycostumes have a great costume range, including beads, masks and lots more. They have just about everything you need.
There are also brilliant graduation party themes accessories such as Mardi Gras glow beads, wrist bands and necklaces. Also light sticks, and tambourines to give the party some glow.
Mardi Gras Party Theme - Invitations
Here is a Mardi Gras example. Feel free to right-click your mouse over it and save it to a folder somewhere. You can then print as many as you need.
The Mardi Gras high school graduation invitations page has another free invite with full personalizing and printing instructions.
Also great ideas on using clip art to make all kinds of party essentials, creating simple photo invites and the easiest homemade invites.
Mard Gras Party Theme - Food and Drink
The basic foods for a Mardi Gras party theme are Fried Chicken and King Cake. (If this party is for children be sure not to have the doll in the cake - avoid any choking hazards).
Some great dishes to look into are:
- Grilled catfish
- Steamed crawfish
- Cajun Hashbrown
- Red Beans and Rice
- Mardi Gras salad
- Bread Pudding
Also Shrimp Creole, Cajun chicken and seafood dishes.
Other Mardi Gras Party Theme Cake Ideas
The Mardi Gras party theme cake is very easy to make as all the ingredients are mixed together in the same bowl.
The graduation cakes page gives you everything you need to make a great cake all ready to cut into shapes and decorate as you wish. That includes details on the recipe, cooking tools and writing with frosting on your graduation cake. Also great ideas on cupcakes, graduation cap cakes, themed cake decorating and lots of tips and techniques to make your great special.
Mardi Gras Party Theme Cake Decorating Idea
1) Instead of using 2 circular cake tins, try using oval ones instead. 2) Once the cakes are cooked and cooled, slightly cut the edge off both shapes and place them together so that they resemble an eye mask. 3) You will also need to cut out holes for the eyes. 4) Next, cover them completely with frosting – yellow would be good to symbolize gold. 5) Cover the mask in sweets of your choice. 6) The stick attached to the mask could be made of a long strand of thick black licorice.
Mardi Gras Party Theme - Games
A carnival offers the chance to have fantastic Mardi Gras party theme games.
- Crown a Mardi Gras King and Queen. Have a vote, or let the graduate pick the winners. You could do this every hour to add to the excitement.
- Limbo, just need a stick, 2 people to hold it and some great music. Keep lowering the stick until there is a winner.
- Mardi Gras face painting. You could have prizes for the best face painting artist and face painting subject.
- Mardi Gras Jester pinata. For a big party you could have extra candy on hand.
- Put up large murals with harlequins, jesters and carnival scenes drawn on them. Each party goer is to color in an area and sign it. Involving guests in your graduation party themes is a great idea.
- Set out a giant Mask with feathers, pens, beads, coins and safe glue. Guests can decorate a part of the mask and leave messages.
- Make your own Mardi Gras mask. Provide blank masks and the items to decorate it.
- Decorate a King Cake, just supply a basic cake and the decorating tools and supplies.
- Guess Who. In advance of the party take photos of a number of well known guests hidden behind a Mardi Gras mask. Ask people to write down their guesses.
- Best costume contest
- Guess the Star, cover large photos of well known star almost completely in a Mardi Gras mask. Guests must guess who they are, and again prizes for getting them all right.
- Disguise a guest in a Mardi Gras costume. Video them singing Mambo No 5 for 2 minutes. Show the video at the party. Guests must guess who they are. First to guess wins the prize.
- Observation test - discretely display 6 to 10 pictures of Mardi Gras around the venue. That could be photos of graduates dressed in Mardi Gras costume. Near the end ask guests to complete a sheet on what they observed. Ask for the people in the pictures and location of the pictures. Have prizes for those getting all answers correct.
- For a large venue you might also want to have some fairground type activities:
Stalls with water pistols to be fired at cans. The cans are to be pushed back off a ledge to win a prize. Can they do it before the water runs out?
Penny Roll, on a large cloth paint lots of colored circles. Contestants must roll pennies and land them wholly within a circle to win a prize. Bigger prizes for further away circles.
Throw soft balls at ducks lined up on a ledge, a prize for getting all of the ducks off the ledge
Throw a ball into goldfish bowls. Line up 10 to 20 goldfish bowls. Get three soft balls which will just fit into the bowls
Hire a real Fair with Ferris Wheel, rides and stalls. That can add a lot to the graduation party themes.
Hire Mardi Gras performers, jugglers, magicians, caricaturists, unicycle riders, people on stilts and other fabulous entertainers.
Have a Mardi Gras procession for everyone to show off their graduation party themes attire. They can throw beads and doubloons safely to the crowd.
- Using a giant very lightweight inflatable like a Mardi Gras mask or even a banana shape. Line up guests one behind the other in teams. The first one passes the mask over their head to the person behind them. They then run to the back of the line and everyone takes one step forward. The winning team is the first one back to the starting line up.
Also hold raffles for good causes.
My favorite Mardi Gras party theme game is to have the guests sing Mambo No 5 all together. Provide the music and words.
For all of these games have lots of bead, coin and mask prizes.
For a lot more games to play at any party see graduation party games.
Mardi Gras Party Theme - Favors
There are great Mardi Gras party theme favors:
- Mardi Gras Coins
- Mardi Gras Masks
- Mardi Gras Feathers, Boas and Beads
- Mardi Gras Funtoos
- Glow bracelets, necklaces and sticks
- Mint Tins
- Mardi Gras Hats
- Blowouts, whistles, stickers and streamers are great for any graduation party themes.
- Mardi Gras party horns.
- Mardi Gras bubbles.
- T-shirts, decorated for Mardi Gras and signed by the guests
- Mardi Gras face paints
- Use Mardi Gras purple, green and gold bags
For a great Mardi Gras party lots of noisy and colorful favors are best!
Shingigz have lots of great Mardi Gras favors.
Mardi Gras Party Theme - Music
If you have a large venue then the best music is a live Dixieland band really recreating a New Orleans street party.
Also consider getting the right DJ who can get the graduation party moving.
Remember Mardi Gras Mambo, When the Saints Go Marching In and Iko Iko.
Consider any Jazz favorites and Neville Brothers CDs. Also
- Jambalaya by Joe Stafford
- Buggy Full of Cajun Music by Jambalaya Cajun Band
- Going Back to Louisiana by Kim Carson
- When a Cajun Man Gets the Blues by Tab Benoit
- Goin' Back to New Orleans by Dr. John
Mardi Gras graduation parties need vibrant music!!
Mardi Gras Party Theme - Ideas
More great Mardi Gras party ideas are:
- Make sure everyone has their Mardi Gras photo taken.
- Video the Mardi Gras graduation party
- One of the better graduation party ideas is to make the Mardi Gras photos and stories into a commemorative magazine and send it to the party goers
- There will be lots of gifts for the graduate. Thank You notes written by the graduate are the best! Include a photo of the guest and graduate from the party.
- Hire Karaoke equipment and have an MC announce the graduation party themes guests arrival, comment on the procession, comment on the games and keep everyone organised.
Share Your Graduation Party Themes
If you would like to share your complete graduation party with us send us your graduation party story and photos and we will create your own party page and photo gallery hosted on our site. (Family and friends will be able to find inspiration from your Mardi Gras party theme ideas and comment on your ideas.) If you share your complete party details you will be automatically entered into our next contest. This year we are having a bumper $100 prize fund. There will be an overall winner and runners up prizes. The winner will be the best overall graduation party story and photos.
For Mardi Gras party theme favors, prizes and great party supplies see the World's Largest Party Superstore
Good luck with your Mardi Gras party theme. A Mardi Gras party theme is one of the best, most vibrant of graduation party themes.
Return from Mardi Gras Party Theme
to the Graduation Party Themes Page
Return from Mardis Gras Party Theme
to the Home Page
By Jane Andrew, Copyright © 2009 - 2018 graduation-invitations-graduation-party.com