Graduation Speech Topics
Home >> Main Speeches Page >> Graduation Speech Topics
Pick a great graduation speech topic and you can enjoy creating a great speech.
Fantastic topic ideas will give you the flowing speech you need. You can inspire your audience as you deliver a speech you believe in!
I hope to give you a large range of topics, the top topics, different ideas, ideas on how to use the topic and also ideas on how to brainstorm the best one for your speech.
Simple Speech Topics
Perhaps you just need something simple and can very happily use:
- Thank you for parents, teachers, friends, mentors, tutors and the principal.
- Great memories
- Looking ahead to the future
- Success came as the result of hard work and perseverance.
Top Graduation Speech Topics
Power of Perseverance - The secret of success will often be sheer perseverance. Many famous people have a never give in mentality and it works powerfully. Hard work, dedication, commitment and faith that persevering will help each person succeed will drive success and propel their lives forward no matter what obstacles appear.
The top graduation speech topics are:
- The Importance of Goal Setting - The power of goal setting is amazing. Speakers can describe the challenges, sense of direction, results, determined effort to succeed, priorities, and the benefits people gain from challenging goals (including personal growth). The graduates can go on now to bigger and better goals after graduating.
Learn from Mistakes - Making mistakes and learning from them is a normal part of life. Describing the mistakes and learning points of famous people or the graduates can make it relevant to the graduates. Talk about the personal growth and benefits from facing up to the mistakes, identifying the learning points, recover the position and use those learning points to do better in the future. For example, some mistakes may have occurred by not working hard enough, giving up at the first obstacle, not communicating, not being a good friend, insufficient preparation or not asking for help.
Overcome Obstacles - Identify the obstacles the class have faced and perhaps describe relevant obstacles faced by the speaker or someone famous and respected. Some obstacles will be in the local environment, school, or personal lives of the class. Describe what was done to overcome the obstacles and the resulting personal growth, mental strength and satisfaction. In the future the graduates will have faith that they can cope with any obstacle that comes their way.
Taking Responsibility - Encourage the graduates to take responsibility for their lives. They can determine the direction they take, the effort they put in, how dedicated they are, how friendly and supportive they are, their positive attitude, how they react to adversity and what they focus on. Real life stories on the power of taking responsibility will bring the speech to life. Describe how the future will be so much better if the graduates take responsibility for themselves.
Personal Codes of Conduct - Those values, ethics, high standards, and morals guide the way the graduates live their lives and the decisions they make. No matter what happens the graduates can live their lives with honesty, integrity, work ethic and charitable outlook. The speaker can describe the codes of conduct learned at the school and practiced by respected celebrities.
Inspirational People or influences that really have made a difference over the past few years. - We are all inspired by people. They may be celebrities, business leaders, teachers, local heroes, sports people or family. There are so many inspirational people who may be all inspiring or have inspirational moments. Describe what has inspired the graduates so far and how that has changed their lives for the better. There may be stories of real change made by graduates as a result of being inspired. Looking ahead there will be excellent inspirational figures in the educational and professional lives of the graduates.
Aim High - Aiming high can bring significant rewards. In particular many successful people have aimed high and even though they have fallen a little short they have still been hugely successful. Small goals can be comfortable and achievable but do little to improve the lives of the graduates. Aiming high can inspire the lives of the graduates and help them to achieve great things.
Do What You Love - Live life with passion and do what you love. Look back to the times the graduates have loved their tasks. Bring out the excitement, passion, fun, joy, happiness, energy, commitment and success that come with doing work you love. The future will be so much brighter.
Never Forget Your Roots - Never forgetting your roots will maintain a grounded way of life. The graduates’ background, town, ethnic background, friends, neighbors, community and country will have given them a sense of values and ideals that will be part of their lives. Taking the best of it will be an excellent way of life.
Charity - Enjoy the joy, satisfaction and growth or giving to others directly and through charity work. There are all kinds of ways of giving and making a difference to others. This a big part of having a successful, balanced and happy life. The benefits will be felt by the giver and the recipient.
Change - Change is the constant in our lives. We cannot keep things the same. Those great friends, the school routine, your favorite coffee shop and the way of life you have at home will be the first things to change. You move away to college, start a job, live in a dorm, make your own meals and make new friends.
You are ready for change. Your time at school has given you many skills. The fact you are here at graduation has shown you that you are successful. That alone gives you mental strength and proves you can trust yourself to cope with challenges and succeed. You know how to work hard, dedicate yourself, adjust your approach when it is not working and persevere no matter what happens. You have already changed so much as you have grown up at school. The changes you have coped with so far are amazing such as finding out how to do exams, increasing workloads, changing curricula, new topics, college interviews, learning to drive and new friends. The other changes in your lives could be at home, financial circumstances or changing school, for example. You can certainly trust yourselves to cope with change in the future.
In the future you will face change all the time. You can rely on yourself to make all the changes you need and cope with those unexpected changes. You might move cities, move jobs, change careers, start a family and move home, for example. Without change life would be a bit dull. There will be difficult change such as recession but you will be able to work your way through it. A lot of change will be fun and exhilarating. Meeting new friends and starting new careers really is exciting.
More Graduation Speech Topics
There are of course many more graduation speech topics you can use.
We give you lots of topics and also a great way to brainstorm topics and the right one for you. This is your big day so enjoy it with a speech you really believe in.
- Learning - the benefits of lifelong learning - Life has plenty more challenges and opportunities to learn. For example changing technology, new rules and regulations, college, university, work based education, new skills, hobbies, sports, new jobs and promotions. A habit of lifelong learning will keep you sharp and help you make the most of your life.
- Living with Gratitude - Stop and take stock of everything you have to be grateful for. Parents, mentors, teachers, friends, neighbors and coaches will have given you a lot over the school years. Look back at school years differently and be grateful for the gifts you were given. Look ahead at the opportunities you have with gratitude. You have the chance to make a great life and forge an exciting future. If you continually live life thankful for all you have then you will indeed be a very happy person who is great to be with.
- Dare To Dream - “If you don’t have a dream your dreams cannot come true”. No matter your circumstances you can dream up a great future. If you dare, you can come up in detail with a bright future which will be challenging to bring about in reality. If this is a future you are passionate about this you can create all the goals and steps that will get you there. Think of the career, family, friends, hobbies, financial, vacation and city you want to live in.
- Opportunities In The Future - Graduation has opened up a bright future. There are opportunities in almost every area of life for example, professional, healthcare, finance, IT, service, Auto and tourism. The world is changing fats, there are opportunities all around. Decide on your chosen field and look for the amazing opportunities there are. Be prepared to take advantage of your opportunities. You can find out how the best people are making the most of their chances. A guest speaker may well have their own experiences to relate here.
- Use Your Knowledge - The speaker can start by describing how knowledge is a powerful thing if you use it well. Think of all the things the graduates now know. Formal subjects such as math, languages, IT, social science and economics. You also know how to study and prepare for tests, among the many things you have learned here. You can use this knowledge as you go forward at college, university, a job, sports and hobbies. There are so many things to learn in the future and so many ways you will apply that knowledge. You can benefit many people and make great lives for yourselves.
- The Best Things In Life - This speech can be a celebration of everything that has been great over the school years. This can range from the serious subjects right through to the fun things that happened. For example the speaker can describe the best teachers, subject, field trip and coaching. Also, best party, best laugh, funniest story, best student, funniest person, best prank (within reason), best team and best photo. Of course the best team should get a mention. Looking ahead there will be so many “best of” things to come in work, play and family life. The speaker can really make this a positive uplifting topic.
- Keep On Improving - Take a look at how far the graduates have come during their school years, in all aspects of their lives. They have improved one step at a time and that way is the best in the future too. They have learned Math, English, IT, languages, fitness, health and so many other things by starting from a point and steadily improving. No one is an overnight success, they get there by steadily improving. In the future life does not stand still. All of us need to keep on improving how you learn, what you learn, the application of that knowledge, and all aspects of our lives.
- Many Small Actions Add Up To A Big Change - Look back at how far the graduates have come since they first came to school. Each week, month and year have seen many small actions and achievements add up to graduation and the opportunity to make a great future. Each nights’ study, completing homework and tests give those actions, and achievements, which help you grow and build some success momentum. In the future you will find many opportunities to have small achievements which build up to a successful time at college, career and life outside of work.
- Everyone Can Succeed - Success can be achieved by all of us. As graduates you now have the skills, can learn anything, can persevere, can work on subjects you don’t always like, and once you have a goal you are passionate about you will be driven to succeed. Don’t let the past be a guide to how much success you will have, believe in yourself! You have graduated so you are successful already. Take heart from your success and look for the next successes in your life. They may be at college, at work, playing sport or family life, for example. Steadily build up your successes and build your momentum.
- Face Up To Challenges And Make Your Future Bright - The class may have faced up to significant challenges over the years which can be used to highlight how they have faced up to them. The graduates may have found challenges in school work, difficulties at school, issues outside of school or just growing up. Facing up to them will have given growth, satisfaction, tough times, the truth, some fun, support and teamwork. Use the actual challenges to describe what the graduates did to face up to them. Use the skills to seek out opportunities in the future. They will get to the real challenges and face up to what needs to be done to succeed. Learning to deal with ever more complex challenges will help each graduate confidently live their lives successfully.
- Key Events - Key events can shape our lives. This speech should capture those events, their impact and how they will affect the long term. Some events will be immediately positive and boost the morale of the students. They could be successful teamwork, charity days, meeting successful people, and sports finals, for example. Some events will be adverse. They could be issues at school, issues with peers, sporting failures, or early exam failures. The students hopefully will have shown how robust they are, fighting back, working hard and succeeding in the end. All events will have impacted the students. The speaker should research the real life events and what happened as a result of them. Looking ahead the Graduates will be able to shape events and can create positive events in their lives such as career success, success at college, finding partners and making their whole lives have memorable events. For events out of their control they can choose to react positively and take what they can from them.
- Honor The Past And Embrace The Future - Before leaving school it can be good to honor the past. The past has been the making of the graduates and shaped their ideas for the future. Find out what the past contained and how it shaped the students. There will have been very hard work, high demands, achievements, school values, mentoring, field trips, fun, joy, friendships, sacrifice and even funny stories. The well researched speaker will appeal directly to the graduates. Graduates don’t want to be stuck in the past but they can take strength from it. They can embrace the future and enthusiastically, with a vibrant, energetic approach, make a success of it.
- Fun Times And Adventures - The graduates seem to have the basics right. Work hard, persevere, set goals, make friends, help others, make family time and enjoy the ride. Among the dedication, deadlines, study, homework, mentoring and support there could be a fabulous addition to their lives.
Having fun is really, really important. Celebrate your successes, have a party, enjoy charity days, have a day out with friends and do many things to help you feel that life is fun. A balanced life will help you develop as a rounded person with a happy life.
Adventures can really make you a different person. Try an adventure day out, a scary pursuit through a recognized outdoor company, have a challenge, go trips to very special places and safely find an adventure that changes your perspective of yourself and life, if you can. Make lifelong memories and gain personal growth.
In the future, get the basics right and work hard towards building a great future. Build in time for fun and enjoy your social life and everything around you. However having an occasional adventure will make memories that last a lifetime.
- What Has Meant the Most - Finding real meaning in life is important. We must have meaning in our lives. Look back at the enduring friendships, teamwork, impact of charity work, mentoring, moments when a subject suddenly made sense, outstanding support, moments when life changed and successes. The speaker must work in real examples to give this meaning. Graduation day is a meaningful event. The passage from school to college and work, the end of an era, the time to say goodbye to school and friends, the time to leave home and the time to really celebrate the graduates’ successes. Make it feel outstanding. In the future, urge the graduates to make the most meaningful things happen. Look at college life and success, leaving home to make a new life, maintain old friendships, start a family, meet a partner, visit wonderful places, see beautiful sunsets, be there at key family events, try out new things and start a career you just love.
- School Values - The school may have a strong set of values that the speaker can use and the graduates live by. They might be giving to others, integrity and hard work. If you can prove the positive impact they have had you can make a good speech.
Past – describe the values and their real impact. How they have shaped the lives of the graduates. Find some really good stories such as behavior turnarounds and successes to prove the impact of the values. The staff likely hold themselves to these values too.
Graduation Day - these values have helped bring the graduates to a successful graduation day. For example a hard work ethic might have given a highly successful class compared to other schools.
Future – Urge the graduates never to forget these values, Show them how they can help directly in the future and bring success in their lives.
- Solving Problems In The World - The graduates are getting ready to take their place in the world. Many going on to college or university, others starting jobs. The skills they have gained are learning to learn, math, English, languages, social science, economics, sports, IT and art, for example. Every skill set can be used in the future to solve problems.
The past review can set up how well placed the graduates are with their skills, determination and how well aware they are of the world around them.
Graduation Day can be celebrated in an enthusiastic way giving the graduates due credit for their achievements.
The future will be an exciting place where the graduates’ dreams will be pursued. They can make the world a better place by solving problems full time or part time. The problems can be the headline ones on medical care, poverty, hunger, disease and natural disasters. Some graduates may well make this their career. Business and enterprise also solves many, many problems for the benefit of people giving outstanding careers. Others can use their spare time to volunteer for important causes, and raise money too. Hope each graduate can find a way to help solve problems for the benefit of all people.
- Activities - sports, field trips, hobbies or teamwork - Of course the graduates have done all the right things. They have worked hard, persevered, faced up to difficult times, been dedicated, successful and dealt with all those things that come with growing up.
Looking back many will have taken part in activities such as sports, theater, chess and many other pursuits. These different activities are likely to be ones they loved, spent time with great friends, competed in and looked forward to every day. Ask the graduates how they felt doing their pursuit; hopefully that is a great sense of excitement. They will have worked hard at their skills and loved preparation time.
Celebrate Graduation Day and urge everyone to enjoy the parties and all the fun to the maximum.
In the future the graduates can dedicate themselves to building great lives through college and careers. Hopefully they will be doing exactly what they love. The lesson of the past is do what you love and live like you are taking part in your favorite activity all day. That way they will work very hard. No matter what the graduates can still follow their favorite pursuit in their free time. They will have many great friends, fun and excitement in their lives.
- Reflect On The Importance Of The Time - A well researched speaker will know the true meaning of graduation to this group of students. For example, perhaps they are expected to be high achievers, perhaps they have overcome the odds to graduate or graduation is a chance to make better lives for themselves.
This particular time may have a highly meaningful news story, new President, deep recession, or jobs really are only going to graduates, for example. Perhaps the graduates’ families have supported them financially during difficult times. Set it all out as part of the review of the past.
Celebrating Graduation Day is very important. The speaker must make sure the graduates feel this is a special day recognizing their important achievements. Talk about how important it is to be graduates at this time.
The future can always be a little uncertain. However being graduates they have a real chance of being successful. Describe how being graduates will enhance their lives against the backdrop of the current times. Describe how being graduates can help them navigate troubled waters and come out successful in the end. Building a picture against the economic conditions at the time can be good. You might also want to talk about the pace of change, the changes in technology, changes in healthcare and the important developments just about on the horizon. The world is an amazing place with a huge range of opportunities for everyone.
- Current News or Events - The idea is to wrap the speech around a meaningful, headline news story. Particularly a new story that the graduates identify and will be suitable to help the speaker make their points.
For example a new President might give a notion of change and great things to come in the future. The whole country can be uplifted.
The speaker can describe the real work ethic, successes, dedication and spirit of the class. Work in, in this example, the fact the graduates can cope with change and are ready to embrace it.
Celebrate Graduation Day with great enthusiasm. This day marks the recognition of their success. It also marks the start of a great change in their lives as they move away, start college or a job, leave behind great friends and the graduates’ lives change forever.
Look forward to the future with hope. The speaker can research the plans the graduates have and describe eloquently the changes and amazing opportunities that are to come for them. The graduates can have faith that they will cope with challenges and tough times, and make the most of their futures. Any new President has courage, faith, hope and takes action to make a difference in the future. The graduates can do the same.
- Top Movies or Music - The speaker can check if there is a current top movie or song that the graduates love. References to the movie, or song, must allow the speaker to get across their messages. Check the story, theme, messages and the graduates’ feelings about the movie, or song.
Within the speech, use references to the movie, or song, to illustrate the hard work and dedication of the graduates. Hopefully some of those messages can link the past to the future. For example a character who behaves badly and is set to fail and them has a like changing experience and through a huge effort turn failure into success.
The graduates’ likely plans are going to college, moving city, finding great careers, making new friends and working very, very hard to be successful. A suitable movie, or song lyrics, will have some messages that fit here.
- Foundations - Build strong foundations in all areas of your life. You will need them as you go forward. For example, strong finances, love and education. Just as you want to build a strong home that a storm cannot knock over, you should build a life with increasingly strong foundations. Make sure you firstly have a strong education that gives you the skills to go forward with a great future career. Keep on improving your skills to make sure change and harsh economic times mean you thrive instead of try and survive. Similarly, with your mind, stay strong and positive so you will cope with challenges and difficult times. You will stand strong no matter what storms come in. With your finances you can simply balance saving and spending. That way you will feel safe in tough times and will grow stronger when times are good.
- Social Media - If there has been a real positive impact of social media then you might be able to explore the positive sharing of lessons and ideas, teachers keeping everyone up to date and posting extra ideas, immediate contact with the teacher, mentoring, field trip photos, jokes, news updates, fun events, fund raising, charity work, assistance provided and the help everyone gives anyone who asks. Perhaps social media used in a positive way has helped the Class, teachers and parents stay up to date, share, assist and feel closer together.
I hope one of the graduation speech topics stands out for you.
To make a truly great speech you will need to feel excited about the topic and own the speech.
The next section gives you help to come up with your own ideas and check over possible graduation speech topics to be sure you love it and can have the right amount of material.
Graduation Speech Topics -Getting The Best Ones
Convincing yourself you have the right graduation speech topic can be hard. However going through a simple process of:
- Brainstorming graduation speech topics using a seed word, and
- Brainstorming ideas within that topic
Will let you get a feel for the right graduation speech topics for you and also being sure you have the right material.
(I recommend using mind maps for the excellent way they help your creative search for graduation speech topics.)
Stay as positive as you can if you are struggling to find the right speech topic, it will come to you.
To Brainstorm topics:
- First seed the process by having a keyword in front of you to focus the mind. Below there are examples of the keywords from the topics list above with some example thoughts.
- Secondly just write down anything you can think of, don‘t judge what is in your mind
- Next, Return to the brainstormed results and note the ones that give the best feel for you and material
- Lastly decide on the most likely best topic for you and start crafting a speech using your brainstormed ideas for that topic.
A crazy way of getting fresh brainstorming ideas I like is by Edward de Bono. Basically you choose a book, then choose two numbers, one for the page and the other for the word on the page. Using these two references find the word and see if it can give you ideas by brainstorming!
Note you will have 'thank you' parts to your speech, so an overall time limit of say 5 to 10 minutes does mean you will not deliver a lengthy, but rather a clear, fairly short speech. Pick your graduation speech topics to fit in with the time.
Graduation Speech Topics - Some Brainstorming Examples
Some examples of using a seed starter for your brain and then brainstorming speech topics to see if you can get comfortable with the theme and what you might say, simply read the theme a couple of times and start writing.:
- Goal Setting: Attain Degree, dedication, sacrifice, achievement, support, friends, teamwork, fun, A top of class student who was only allowed into university when a benefactor helped out.
- Events: new staff, revitalize, moved home, met partner, unexpected help, remember friend who took ill, winning football team, fancy dress charity day, kids hospital volunteer day.
- Credit Crunch: It is realistic to discuss the current recession and credit crunch. How well placed are the graduates to face the future and make a difference.
- Responsibility: for you, for classmates, try hardest, stay positive, help others, work hard, sacrifice, growing up, future responsibility to help others.
- Values: Integrity, teamwork, work hard, be professional, best of the best, dignity, hold self to high standards.
- Motivation: moved to US and need to make a new life, rags to riches, payback to parents for all they have done, support self, make great life.
- Mistakes: failed first year, poor feedback , work harder, great chance to learn, look deep into self and get out of it, apologize.
- Persevere: Work hard, believe it will come out right in the end, trust self, stay positive, sacrifice, never give up on your dream
- Inspiration: Rory McIlroy, Denzel, Nelson Mandela, my aunt who had a house which was just filled with love.
- Roots: Scotland, hard workers, loving, straight talking, humor, fun, scenery, golf, Andrew Carnegie, history.
- Opportunity: Strive to be great, unlimited, embrace it, help others, do something fantastic, be a leader.
- Obstacles: New country, new spelling, new values, support, community, adventure, new dreams, opportunity, join in
- Friends: Support, talking, John, new friends, shared values, shared beliefs, tolerance, help, power of the team, same goals., friends forever.
- Events: Global warming, child poverty, Sudan, charity, giving, green planet, save power.
Hopefully you have great ideas for graduation speech topics when you complete your own brainstorming.
Graduation Speech Topics - Issues
Events at the time leading up to Graduation can give some ideas for graduation speech topics.
Our sporting heroes often have inspirational stories to tell. Their personal circumstances, how they committed to training, the sacrifices they made and the obstacles they overcame are published freely now. Again perhaps the story of the amazing Michael Phelps can give some graduation speech topics.
Other graduation speech topics ideas can be:
- Environmental issues can give great topics. The record global temperatures this year and natural disasters caused by global warming have raised important points for the world to take action on. Expand the topic by describing incorporating green issues into the graduates' lives. Carpool, recycle, save energy, use recycled things, reuse as much as possible and reduce the amount you use.
- Economic issues can give great topics. Right now many people in this country and around the world are living with austerity. A topic that comes to mind can be helping to grow our economy and making sure you are at the top of your profession as some jobs are scarce. Lead the way and find new business opportunities and find export markets too.
- Charity work can be good too. If the school is close to a particular charity and the class have been very active in raising funds and awareness then the benefits of their teamwork, committed efforts and giving back can be good graduation speech topics.
- Perhaps there have been things going on in your local community which have been difficult or even uplifting. There may be great graduation speech topics in there.
- The position you are in at the school may give graduation speech topics. For example if you are captain of the winning sports team you will know what it takes in terms of teamwork, determination and preparation to win.
Graduation Speech Topics - Celebrities
There have been many great graduation speech topics. The graduation speech topics used by some notable speakers recognizable graduation ones but with a modern twist. Some examples are:
- Sandra Bullock gave advice to the graduates of Warren Easton Charter High School New Orleans. The advice included “don’t worry about the future”. (2014)
- Meryl Streep speaking at Barnard tells graduates "Things are changing" and "Men are adapting" (2010)
- Michelle Obama Speaking at George Washington University said “So for every ill of this interconnected world, you’ve tried to find a way to make good. Where there’s hate, you’ve tried to heal it. Where there’s need, you’ve tried to fill it. Where there’s devastation, you’ve tried to rebuild it.” (2010)
- President Obama speaking at the University of Michigan said “ iPod And XBox ‘Distraction’ Hard On Democracy” (2010)
- Katie Couric, the anchor and managing editor of the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric and correspondent for 60 Minutes, speaking at Case Western Reserve University said You can learn a lot from disappointment and heartache but it's how you deal with those disappointments and heartache that ultimately defines who you are. (2010)
- Larry Page of Google fame speaking at University of Michigan encouraged graduates to think big. “I think it is often easier to make progress on mega-ambitious dreams.” (2009)
- Dennis Lehane speaking at Emmanuel College on Optimism, telling graduates that the future of USA is brighter now than 4 years ago.(2009)
- Hilary Clinton speaking at New York University commencement on Entrepreneurship, encouraged graduates to use emerging technology to improve the world. (2009)
- President Obama spoke, after receiving an Honorary Degree from Arizona State University, on Persistence.(2009)
- Marc Brown speaking at Lesley University, talked about the importance of Persistence.(2009)
- Michael Capuano speaking at Boston University, told graduates there have been bad times before and they should focus on the longer term.(2009)
- Don Rodman spoke at Bay State College on the importance of Self Reliance.(2009)
- Earl Stafford speaking at University of Massachusetts-Amerhurst on Resilience, said “difficult times separate those who are strong from those who are weak.”(2009)
- Smokey Robinson speaking at Berklee College of Music on Humility, said “never, ever get full of yourself.”(2009)
Great graduation speech topics with a great message for the audience.
Graduation Speech Topics - Different
Sometimes it is useful to consider some different graduation speech topics. You may not use the graduation speech topics however it could be they can inspire you to come up with something different. The graduation speech topics could be:
- Coke or Pepsi, which is best - the speaker could use opinions on these Brands to illustrate their speech. Graduation speech topics like this can make you think very differently! These drinks have been icons of popular culture for decades. The differences in taste could be used to symbolize the fact we are different and have separate ways forward in life. The graduates will have had different interests, strengths and weaknesses just like the drinks. Of course they can coexist happily. We would miss either brand if it ceased to be there and that will be the same for the friends who part at this time.
- Who is your favorite President - What does the graduates’ favorite President stand for. What are their values, successes and political leanings. Are they compassionate, courageous, strong, tough, assertive, a great leader and fun? The speaker can draw comparisons to the kind of people the graduates are and what they will become in the future. The President may have been a force for change and the graduates may want to do the same. For many Presidents the journey to the Oval Office was very difficult. Their past alone is a great story of perseverance, dedication and having one big goal which was to be President.
- Savory snack or candy - Graduation speech topics like this one can be used to engage the graduates in thinking about the differences between people, how we coexist, what different ‘tastes’ we have and how that will drive our choices in the future.
- Who is the best teacher - Use this graduation speech topic to illustrate what the teacher has. Perhaps they are caring, work hard, helpful, fun, different, communicate well with the graduates, true to themselves, dedicated, their goal is the get the best out of each student and enjoy their job too. The speaker can research the school’s best teacher and use their characteristics to illustrate what makes a great professional, what the graduates may be like at college and how to approach their careers in the future.
- Who is the best graduate - This graduation speech topic can be very meaningful to the graduates. The speaker will have to research the real best graduate. They are likely to be dedicated, fun, hard working, able to persevere, able to cope with challenges, calm, helpful, have integrity, popular, sporting, successful and perhaps a natural leader. Take the best of the characteristics and describe how they will have been there in everyone in the past and how those traits can help the graduates make the best of their future lives.
- Entrepreneur or Employee - This graduation speech topic can be used to illustrate the different ways forward that the graduates might take. Either way the speaker can show that the graduates have built the skills they need to succeed at school and with the right dedication they will succeed in the future. They do however need to determine which is the way of life they will love and be best suited to.
Entrepreneurs will be dedicated people who take a risk and can survive by their own business instincts. The speaker can draw on famous entrepreneurs and their characteristics.
Employees will enjoy being part of a larger enterprise, building a career path, building a CV, showing loyalty and dedication to their profession and their company.
Whatever they do the graduates will have to use the same dedication, hard work, perseverance, goal setting, meeting deadlines, teamwork, problem solving and ability to face challenging times.
- How to beat the recession - This graduation speech topic can be used to describe a recession and what skills, attitude and presentation it takes to survive. The speaker may be able to draw on a recent recession and the graduates will understand the issues. Perhaps they have been affected by family financial troubles or even seeing others in the area struggle. Tough times need people who can work very hard, dedicate themselves to being the best, build their skills continually and find a profitable niche that they will become expert in. Also important is to be able to present yourself well and communicate with others. Of course there will be other recessions in the future and the graduates also need to be able to stay calm and enjoy life.
These different graduation speech topics can give you a totally different speech.
Graduation Speech Topics - Lastly
Once you have brainstormed graduation speech topics you will know if it gives you not just enough material but also graduation speech topics which give:
- Great ideas
- A flow of material which excites you
- A great feeling
- A positive speech
- Something you really believe in.
When you write your first drafts you will know you have the right graduation speech topics.
I have lots of example Free Speeches covering many of these topics. I hope they can help you!
Graduation speech topics you believe in will make your enthusiasm shine through as you speak which will engage your audience. There is nothing better than listening to an inspired speaker who has the right graduation speech topics. The right graduation speech topics make the speech a lot more fun for you too!
Return from Graduation Speech Topics to the
Main Speeches page
Return from Graduation Speech Topics
to the Home Page page